Thursday, April 8, 2010

The Waitresses

Nancy (51)
comes in swaying smelling of vodka.
Cuts me off at the side station every time.
"I'm older, have respect" she says.
I frequently hear her scream "who left the
dirty wine glasses here?"
No one answers.
Peggy (47)
tells the manager he should change
station 6's in time,
tells us it won't be busy tonight,
Coast Hwy's expansion is absorbing our parking lot.
"All the customers complain to me."
Mildred (57)
her food gets cold
while she tells jokes
to customers she's met in her 20 years here.
They don't mind cold food.
She's slowing, her body shakes uncontrollably at times.
The busboys say she's senile.
Anita (45)
the only one who remembered my birthday.
She sets dirty wineglasses on my tables
when she thinks I'm not looking.
She comes to Halloween parties,
dressed as Superwoman.
Her husband can't keep a job,
she'll work any Sunday.
Jeri (24)
she flirts with the buy boys
talks rock'n roll with the cooks
and works five dinner shifts now.
The waitresses still look after her.
Peggy repeats "don't worry, kid, just stick by me."
She can't help but laugh
when Peggy turns her back.

No comments:

Post a Comment